Monday, October 26, 2009

Field Trip #2: Brussels

I had heard mixed things about Brussels. Some people think it's lame, others awesome. Some think it's ugly, others pretty. I didn't know what to expect. In the end however I really enjoyed Brussels and had a great time there, and you could tell it was a very international city. Brussels is home to the most important institutions of the European Union, so that was our main reason for the visit, but aside from important EU things Brussels also offers many delicious, delicious things. Beer, chocolate, waffles, fries, mussels... what more could anyone want?! Unfortunately the mussels were out of my price range, but the rest of it wasn't! Mmmm...

Enough about food though. Our hotel was right by the famous Grand Place, which is a beautiful square in the middle of town that lots of people hang out in at any time of the day. We arrived at night and I must say seeing the square all lit up was very impressive. Our favorite hangout came to be a bar called Delirium, which maybe some of you know about because they sell some beer in the US. This place was awesome. Really big, always crowded, upstairs lots of yummy flavored and non flavored beers on tap, downstairs almost 2,000 types of bottled beer for sale. It also happened to be right near our hotel.

One afternoon a couple friends and I did a little walking tour of the area. We saw the Grand Palais and the park, a cathedral, an old city tower remnant, and the famous Manneken Pis statue (I don't know the legend, something about saving the city at one point maybe). They dress up this little guy in costumes every now and then, but he wasn't dressed up at the time of our visit sadly. After that we ate a nice big waffle! See picture. And the next day I was sure to buy some authentic Belgian chocolate, which is truly as good as its name.

One of the best parts about the trip to Brussels however... Mini Europe! Mini Europe is basically just miniatures of EU member state's landmarks at a scale of 1:25. Each member country has at least one landmark, some more obviously. You go from country to country and can read about their landmarks in a brochure. They are super detailed and adorable, and you can press the button and hear the country's national anthem play. It was awesome! I realize some people might find this boring, but I don't care, my friend Lindsay and I loved it. And it is right by the famous Atomium monument which was built for the 1958 Brussels World's Fair. We didn't go in that though, because it cost 9 Euro and I heard it wasn't that cool.

So all in all Brussels gets a thumbs up from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment